Meatloaf and mashed potatoes, comfort food for so many. Hot or cold, meatloaf for dinner or meatloaf sandwiches for lunch, you can’t go wrong with this spicy bean and Timeless green lentils meatless meatloaf.
- 1 Cup Timeless Green Lentils
- 2 Cups Water
- 2 Teaspoons Olive Oil
- 1 Medium Onion, finely chopped
- 1 Clove Garlic, crushed
- 2 Stalks Celery, finely chopped
- 1 14-oz. can Red kidney beans
- 1 Medium Egg
- 1 Medium Carrot, coarsly chopped
- 1/2 Cup Cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 Cup Fresh whole wheat bread crumbs
- 1 Tablespoon Cumin, ground
- 1 Tablespoon Coriancer, ground
- 1 Tablespoon Chili powder, hot if you prefer
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Add lentils to water and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat, cover and simmer until tender, about 35 minutes. Drain any remaining liquid.
- Preheat oven to 350F. Lightly grease a 9"x5"x3" loaf pan.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan. Add onion, garlic, and celery. Cook gently for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove pan from heat and cool slightly.
- Rinse and drain the beans. Place beans, cooked lentils, onion mixture, and egg in a blender or food processor. Pulse to blend completely, do not over process into a puree.
- Transfer mixture to a bowl, and remaining ingredients and mix well. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Spoon mixture into a loaf pan and level the surface. Bake for about 1 hour.
- To serve, remove from pan and slice. Serve hot or cold.
A riff on this recipe from One Green Planet.