|Cook Time||1 1/4Hours|
- 1 Cup Timeless Black Beluga® Lentils
- 2 1/4 Cups Water
- 1 1/4 Teaspoon Fennel seeds, dried
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 8 Ounces Lasagna noodles, dry
- 1 Cups Onion, chopped
- 3 Large cloves Garlic, minced (about 1 Tablespoon)
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 2 Medium Zucchini, sliced
- 2 15-oz. can Tomato sauce
- 1/8 Teaspoon Sugar
- 1 Teaspoon Basil, dried
- 1 1/2 Cups Mozzarella cheese, shredded
- In a medium sauce pan, combine lentils, water, fennel seeds, and salt. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover, and simmer 30 to 40 minutes, or until the lentils are very tender and almost all the liquid is absorbed. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, cook lasagna noodles according to package directions. Drain the noodles and rinse with cold water.
- Mix lentils with tomato sauce, sugar, and basil.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly oil a 13" x 9" baking pan.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, cook onions and garlic in 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil until tender, about 5 to 7 minutes. Turn onions into a bowl and set aside. To skillet add remaining 1/2 tablespoon oil, add zucchini and cook, stirring, until zucchini is just tender, about 8 minutes.
- Arrange half the lasagna noodles over the bottom of the baking pan. Arrange zucchini slices evenly over noodles, then spread half the lentil mixture over the zucchini and half the cheese over the lentils. Layer with half the remaining noodles, half the remaining onions, half the remaining, lentils, and half the remaining cheese. Repeat with remaining noodles, onions, and lentils, reserving the remaining cheese.
- Bake, covered, for 30 minutes, or until heated through. Five minutes before the lasagna is done, uncover and sprinkle on remaining cheese. Continue baking uncovered until the cheese melts.