In Voluptuous Cooking, Sophie Dall refers to this dish as Paris Mash because she used to make it in Paris while visiting and artist friend, Annie Morris. With herbs and a scattering of mâche (a sweet and tender green), the stewy lentils become a perfect combination of soup and salad. Timeless French Style Lentils work best here, because they hold their shape when cooked.
- 1 1/2 Cups Timeless French Style Lentils
- Salt to taste
- 1 Tablespoon Olive oil, extra virgin
- 1 Small Red onion, finely chopped
- 1 Medium Clove Garlic, minced
- 1/4 Cup Dry red wine
- 1 Cup Baby spinach, packed (about 2 ounces)
- 1/2 Cup Chicken stock Substitute vegetable or mushroom stock for a vegetarian option
- 1 Tablespoon Crème fraîche
- 4 Cups Mâche or arugula, lightly packed (about 2 ounces)
- 1/4 Cup Flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- 1/4 Cup Cilantro, chopped
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
One serving: 291 cal, 44 gm carb, 5 gm fat, 1 gm sat fat, 18 gm protein, 11 gm fiber.