- 1 1/4 Cups Timeless French Style Lentils
- 2 1/2 Cups Water
- 1 Bay Leaf
- Fresh thyme, a few sprigs
- Salt to taste
- 1 Medium Carrot, finely diced
- Medium Onion, finely diced
- 1 Bulb Fennel, finely diced
- Pepper to taste
- 1 Tablespoon Red wine or sherry vinegar
- 1/4 Cup Olive Oil Extra virgin
- 1/8 Teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 Small Shallot, finely minced
- Rinse and inspect lentils. Add water, lentils, bay leaf, and thyme to saucepan. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat, ad a bit of salt and simmer for 20-25 minutes, until the lentils are just tender, adding more water if necessary. Be sure not to overcook them.
- While the lentils aer cooking, heat a few spoonsfool of olive oil in a skillet and add the carrots, onions, and fennel. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and cook, stirring frequently, until tender. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together vinegar, olive oil, mustard, and minced shallot.
- When the lentils are done, drain them well. Remove the bay leaf and thyme sprigs. Toss lentils in the vinaigrette with the cooked vegetables. Stir a few times to release the steam. Taste and adjust seasoning.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.