- 2 Medium Onions chopped
- 3 Cloves Garlic minced
- 2 Tbs. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 cups Timeless Yellow Split Peas rinsed
- 1 tsp. dried Oregano
- 1/2 tsp. dried Thyme
- 1 tsp. Salt
- 1 tsp. Ground Black Pepper
- 1/8 tsp, Hot Red Pepper Sauce (or to taste)
- 6 cups Chicken or Vegetarian Broth
- 1/2 tsp. Balsamic or Red Wine Vinegar
- fresh Thyme leaves for garnish
- In a heavy saucepan over medium heat, gently cook onion and garlic in oil until they are soft, but not brown.
- Stir in yellow split peas, the seasonings, pepper sauce, broth.
- Raise heat to medium and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for about 1 hr, stirring occasionally, or until soup is fairly thick
- Stir in vinegar. Adjust seasonings, add more pepper sauce, salt, or pepper, as desired.
- Garnish with whole fresh thyme leaves.